Ajvar and everything else

The views and opinions on this blog are my own- and do not reflect the views and opinions of the Peace Corps or the United States Government.

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Things Fall Apart

(Mostly my apartment)

So, a while ago the water heater in my kitchen had a bit of a fire. I wasn't home when it happened. In fact, I don't know when it happened, but at some point I noticed that smoke had come out of the top and wires had melted through the bottom. It still worked, but Shaun made me unplug it. It took a while for me to get it fixed, mostly because I had to call my landlady to tell her there was a problem, but finally last Wednesday, I got up the nerve, made the necessary calls, and got the water heater fixed.

Thursday I came home from watching a movie at Tessa's around 8:45pm. When I walked in I heard a loud hissing, which I attributed to a gas leak, till I remembered that I don't have gas. On further inspection I discovered that the hose from my toilet to my water source had snapped. There was water spraying all over the bathroom and hall way. Everything was soaking wet, there was water running down the doors and windows and dripping off the ceiling. I spent a few minutes running around, hassling neighbors for tools, and running to the hardware store, which closed at 9:00pm to get the new part I needed.

Friday morning I woke up and the water was out in the building... I was kind of starting to hate my apartment at this point, but I was on my way out of town so I just picked up my stuff and went for breakfast out till it was time for my bus to leave.

I guess these sorts of problems could happen anywhere, (although the water seems to go out an awful lot), it is just that much harder when in a country where you don't really know what is going on and don't have the language ability to ask...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home