Ajvar and everything else

The views and opinions on this blog are my own- and do not reflect the views and opinions of the Peace Corps or the United States Government.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

To the museum!

For the last couple of weeks Shaun and I had being trying, although not trying to hard, to go to the Ohrid Museum. Like many establishments here, the posted hours for the museum are mostly to create the illusion of professionalism. Any correlation between actual times things are open and the posted hours, however, is strictly a coincidence.

Anyway- we happened to pass by the museum when it was actually open and we went in for a bit. Most of the space is filled with bits of metal, stone, and glass. I can only assume these things represent important periods of Ohrid history, as nothing is labeled and I am not quite finished with my PhD in Southern Eastern European Ancient History. There are a few cool things about the museum, though, even for those of use without advanced degrees in archeology. First off the building is neat. It is an old 4 story house done in traditional Ohrid building style. And inside a few of the rooms are decorated in traditional style. But most interesting, I think, are the wood carvings on the top floor. They are in this really nice sunny room and are really amazing examples of workmanship. I have a few pictures below.

We were lucky to find the museum open when we did, as Shaun left a couple of days later to return to the states. It has been pretty difficult having him gone, especially because I had gotten quite used to having him around during the month he stayed with me. But we had know this was coming for a while, and I have only 9 months left here so it won't be too long apart...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home