Ajvar and everything else

The views and opinions on this blog are my own- and do not reflect the views and opinions of the Peace Corps or the United States Government.

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

PC is not all fun and games- but almost…

I feel like the casual reader of my mass emails and blog might get the impression that PC Macedonia is all travel, parties, coffee, and relaxed work schedules, but this is not true! Well, the coffee and work thing is true, but… Sometimes life here is down right mundane. As proof I offer yesterday.

I woke up yesterday with a magnificent head ache. I later attributed this to barometric pressure changes which resulted in strong storms and rain for nearly the rest of the day. But at 6:15am, all I could manage was a text message to my counter part to tell him I would not be able to make it to work. An hour later I was woken up by the above mentioned weather, and spent the rest of the day wondering around in a restless boredom.

The one thing I really needed to do, laundry, was the one thing I couldn’t do because I couldn’t hang things out to dry. Instead I increased my normal daily coffee intake by 200% (from 0 to 2 cups), probably contributing to the restlessness, and spent the rest of the day focusing no more then 30 minutes on anyone activity. I knitted for a while, read for a while, exercised, went to the market for raspberries, plums, and cherries between storms, I worked with my plants and compost for a while, talked on the phone, went to the internet café, took some photos, and vacuumed. I got really excited about the vacuuming because I found a new attachment with a brush on it and my rugs are cleaner then I have ever seen them before.

On a topic unrelated to a mundane life… the Ohrid Summer Festival starts tonight. For the next month and half there will be classical concerts, Shakespeare, and opera events nearly every night all over the city. Tonight Jose Carious will be singing in the antique theater. Tickets are 100-150 euros and sold out the day they went on sale. Other events are more reasonable. I am going to a cello concert this Thursday in an 11th century church for only 200 denars (~$4). The musician and the pianist are from Germany and will be playing Faure, Shuman, and Chopin. I will take pictures of the church and post those here later.

What?! This is the PC! Really!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home